Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Finding Myself is Tricky Business

Self-expression is a funny thing. We are constantly told to be ourselves but then restraints are put on what we can be. Whether by society or our parents. For instance, my mom hates piercings but I love them and I like to express that. So, for my 18th birthday I'm going to get my nose pierced. Would I prefer to go with my mom? Yes. Can I? No. My self-expression doesn't fit her mold. Or what about people who dye their hair the colors of the rainbow...they like it. But society mocks them for choosing an unconventional route for expression. How do we become ourselves if we belong to others? How can I walk out of the house feeling like myself if I'm not allowed? When did self-expression die?

How do you like to express yourself? If given the option to express yourself in anyway you wanted would you choose an eating disorder?

Stay Strong
xo Aria

** the last question is more posed towards myself. I often find that when I can express myself the way I choose, I am less likely to act on ed symptoms**

No comments:

Post a Comment