Thursday, May 23, 2013

Relapse Happens

I feel like people always say "relapse happens". Which it can. But it doesn't have to. And by having this thought as what to live by...it opens the door to relapse. It makes it ok. It makes it normal. "Everybody relapses...so skipping a meal is ok" is a common process for me. I mean if relapse happens then I guess I don't have to stop it. The only problem is that you do have to stop it. You have the power to do so. Not everybody relapses. And those that do, don't have to continue. I understand why they say it. So, that those that relapse don't feel as though they failed. Which is good. I just wish it didn't make relapsing seem so ok. Like I should relapse to be like everybody else. When in fact I don't have to, and I don't have to let lapses turn into relapses. And neither do you. Yes, relapse happens. To many people. But not all. So, please don't use that saying as a reason to keep hurting yourself. It's not worth it. I'm relapsing now while in treatment. Slowly, considering the circumstance. And the thing I keep coming back to is that well relapse happens so this is ok. But I know it isn't and everyone reading this knows it isn't. I'm assuming right now, some of you are thinking " but I relapse and they happen and I still feel bad about it.., so why does the saying matter? " it matters because of the impact it has on people like me. It takes away the guilt from skipping a snack or two. And gives me a retort when getting questioned by my treatment team. Quite frankly it's a true but dangerous concept. Take from it what will help you or ignore it completely. But don't use it as a reason to destroy yourself. You deserve to be here. You deserve to be happy. And if you relapse don't be hard on yourself. If you don't relapse, be extremely proud.

Stay Strong
xo Aria

No comments:

Post a Comment