Thursday, August 29, 2013

My Sport

I know I made a previous post about my love for gymnastics but it's been a while so here's another. Before I start let me give you the background. My dietitian and I are discussing what the sport is, not literally but to the athletes. The first paragraph will be what I said and the second will be her response.

Ok. This sport is the most gut wrenching, analytical, death defying, hard ass sport. It takes pointing your toes till they cramp and your hands ripping and countless leos and sports bras and pounds of chalk and hours of training. Everything is analyzed. From how high you jump to how long you hold a handstand. It becomes your everything and how you see everything. But it is also the most rewarding and incredible sport. You learn things that seem impossible and push yourself more than everyone else. You buy ankle weights and tape your hands. You have jackets and watch the Olympics religiously. It is a life. Not a sport. And yes it is analytical... but only after. In the moment you are flying. This is what I love. Gymnastics is having the strength to hold on and the courage to let go.

So is recovery. Strength to hold on to hope and belief of a free life  and to hold on to recovery when it becomes unbearable and courage to let go of what has become your everything, your ed.

I just think that she put a really interesting spin on it.

What do you think?

Stay Strong
xo Aria

No comments:

Post a Comment