Thursday, March 7, 2013

Becoming a Princess

The stage is a magical place. Stories come alive and characters come to life. Anything can happen. Theatre is my greatest passion in life. Right now I am preparing to be Belle in Beauty and the Beast. This show has taught me more than most others. Of course I made new friends and learnt song and dances. But for this particular production a sentence kept being repeated, "you must become and believe you are a princess". This confused me. For as many as shows as or been in, I've never had a director who wanted us to truly believe we are our characters. Almost to the point of method acting. I have to truly believe I am a princess, that I am secure in myself and that I know I can do what I set my mind to. This was a challenging idea for me. I'm not a princess. Princesses are pretty and kind and well perfect. I don't see myself as any of those things. But I had to believe it. My motto for this has been " I am a princess". I can't say it has helped recovery much but I can say it got me in
a different mindset for what I princess is. We can all be princesses, it's just a matter of who knows it. If I walked around all the time the way I do in theatre, things would
be so different. I still don't think I'm close to being a princess but for those few hours on stage, I am. And gosh that's an incredible feeling.

Have you ever had a place that was a complete escape?

Stay Strong
xo Aria

1 comment: