Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Thinking Process

When people ask me why I have such a hard time with school, I usually respond with "I have all the work of the average high schooler and half the mental capacity". This weekend when I said that to somebody I got a new response.

This person said "Never confuse physical ability with mental capacity".

At first I didn't understand what he meant so he continued. He was saying that my physical ability to concentrate and perform well under pressure was hindered by my eating disorder but my mental capacity was incredible.

This got me thinking. He made a point to describe instances in which I showed incredible intellect and maturity. And I finally realized what people mean by having an eating disorder changes you.

Even through recovery I will not regain the person I lost, but gain a new one entirely. I will forever be the person who sees goodness in places normal people don't. There will forever be beauty in most things just because I'm alive and fought for it.

I have the mental capacity to do whatever I want. My physical capability is what stops me. And I can change that. But I did realize that I really sell myself short.

I should really work on that.

Stay Strong
xo Aria

No comments:

Post a Comment