Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Permission To Eat

This is gonna be a long post so bare with me!

Everybody with an eating disorder has heard the sentence, "Just eat". To be quite honest, my usual response to this is, "oh my gosh that's exactly what I needed to hear. I can't believe I never thought of that". Knowing to eat is not the problem. I know that eating is what human beings need to do. But a part of me, says not to. Eating actually feels wrong. Like I am disobeying myself, breaking a rule. Anybody who has worked with me on a treatment level, has been asked from me if it is really okay for me to eat. I won't eat unless they say it's okay. I feel like I am doing something so awful and wrong that it creates immeasurable guilt. Just eating isn't allowed in my head. Everything has to be justified. EVERYTHING. I feel like a little kid who just wants to stay out of trouble. Not get put in time-out. Except the time-out is in my head and it is so much worse. Disobeying the thoughts puts me in a tizzy. I search forever for a means of justification. It could anything. Like I can eat this meal because my breakfast was only a Luna bar. Justifying is like my way of explaining why I misbehaved.

I am often asked how I can ignore hunger. Well, if you were going to get in trouble for something, would you give into it? I don't have permission to eat. I don't feel like it is okay to that. I legitimately have to ask before even following my meal plan. I need to know that I have been granted the right to eat that day. But the rule is that I cannot give myself permission because I cannot be trusted. I could accidentally eat too much.

SO the question becomes, when do I get unlimited permission to eat? A few answers come to my mind. Usually when I do something I am not supposed to enough times, I get permission. That's why I am allowed to dye my hair. Another possibility is that I never get that right. Like I am not allowed to get more ear piercings. Lastly, I guess eventually I could earn the right. Just like how when you turn 21 you can drink. But I am not sure how eating works. Which of those is it like? Or is it like none of those?

My youth director actually made me a "License to Eat" so that I have permission all the time, sort of like a driver's license. But is unlimited permission better than none?

Do any of you struggle with giving yourself permission to eat?

Stay Strong
xo Aria

No comments:

Post a Comment